Monday, April 28, 2008

Not The Time Nor The Place...or is it?


Who teaches boys these things? Fathers? Mothers? Big brothers? I certainly don't remember sitting my children down and teaching them that we need to stockpile the latest issue of Usborne's Under The Sea Search, Curious George Visits the Hospital and Bad Kitty next to the commode. A good story time moment for me is nestling my freshly bathed, pajama-clad babies (OK so maybe they're not babies anymore and maybe they don't quite "nestle" so well anymore but more accurately sprawl) into my lap while I launch into the story using all my best voices. Ethan and Mason love books so much they take at least one to bed with them each night and they have a bin in the car between them stuffed to the brim with their favorites. I can't tell you how many times I've had to go the garage in my own jammies to retrieve the favorite of the day just so it can be put under their pillow. Mason is just learning to read and it is opening up the most amazing world for him. I can see the pride in him grow as he finishes a sentence. I wonder if he feels he can conquer the world one dinosaur book at a time. I, myself, am an avid reader and could read til the sun went down then back up then down again. Alas, I haven't got that kind of uninterrupted time and so I take time in bed, on the couch, standing at the kitchen counter waiting for the pasta water to boil and ... hmmm...maybe I DID teach them!
The second picture is Ethan sitting in the laundry basket on the couch watching Scooby Doo. When Mason goes to school I let Ethan have the run of the place. He gets to eat some fruit snacks and watch his choice of show. I know, I need to put the brakes on a bit, but hey, he is the baby. Scooby Doo is the boys' favorite show right now and they are obsessed! It's really quite hilarious watching the episodes. Matt and I used to watch them and now they are just silly. I like them though because there is no shooting or hitting or anybody calling anybody stupid or dum dum. You can't lose when the bad guy is simply some one dressed up in a costume and they are sent to jail for being bad anyway!

1 comment:

Princess Jen said...

OMG how CUTE is his little face on the pot?????